Caribbean Detox Soup
This one pot soup is flavoursome, low in carbs and focuses on nourishing the body. It uses a medley of vegetables that are commonly used in Caribbean cooking.
Servings 6 people
- a bunch of callaloo 3 cups, tightly packed or use spinach/kale
- 1-2 cho cho/christophine chopped
- 4 large carrots sliced and halved
- 1 cup okra chopped, see notes (about 20 fingers)
- 4-6 corn cobs
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 6 thyme stems + 2 bay leaves tied together in a bundle
- 1 tbsp shado beni (culantro) or use cilantro/spirit weed (coriander) (15g)
- 10 pimento berries
- 2 tsp paprika (10g)
- 2 tsp black pepper (10g)
- 2 tsp pink salt if required, see notes (10g)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (1.8 litres)
- scotch bonnet (only use this in the stove top version, not the instant pot version).
On medium heat, add the olive oil to a stock pot/large saucepan.
Proceed to saute the onion, scallion and garlic until soft and translucent.
Add the cho cho and carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and tender.
Add your seasoning - shado beni, thyme (tie together as a bundle) black pepper, paprika, pimento, bay leaf, scotch bonnet and pink salt.
Add the corn and okra.
Pour the vegetable stock into the pot and bring to the boil.
Half cover the pot with the lid, reduce the heat to medium/low and simmer 25-30 minutes.
Add the callaloo/spinach 5-7 minutes before finishing.
Instant pot version
Turn on the instant pot and select “saute”
When the inner pot is hot add the olive oil then proceed to saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
Add the cho cho and carrots and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir then add the seasoning - shado beni, thyme (tie together as a bundle) black pepper, paprika, pimento, bay leaf and pink salt.
"Cancel" the “saute” setting.
Add the corn and okra.
Pour the broth into the inner pot and add the callaloo/spinach.
Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set the steam release knob to the “sealing” position
Press the “pressure cook” button and adjust the +/- to 5 minutes (it will take several minutes to reach maximum pressure).
Once cooked leave the lid on and allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes before turning the knob to “venting” to rid any excess build up of pressure
- I wasn't able to get hold of any callaloo so used spinach instead. You can also use kale as an alternative leafy green.
- The scotch bonnet is optional. You Can used fresh or dried chilli (about ¼ tsp) instead.
- Here is the recipe for my Homemade Vegetable broth. If you are using store brought, make sure it is gluten free and low in sodium.
- The amount of salt you need will vary depending whether you use homemade or store brought broth
- Use a stock pot that yields at least 4 quarts/3 litres to avoid the risk of any over spill.
- This recipe is made with strictly LOW CARB vegetables, I purposely excluded peas(beans) and ground provisions to keep it low in carb.
- If you want to substitute or add additional vegetables, feel free to do so.
- If you can't get hold of chayote/cho cho/christophine then use zuchini instead.
- The okra (ochro) should be parboiled in 2 tbsp of vinegar to rid the sliminess. As I did in my Okra Rice recipe. If you don't mind the slimy texture then keep them whole.
Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2069mg | Potassium: 428mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 8021IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg