Homemade Quinoa Milk
Delicious plant based milk made from quinoa seeds!
Servings 4 servings
- ½ cup of quinoa washed
- 2 cups of water
To Make the quinoa milk
- 4 cups of water
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- 4 dates
- ½ tsp vanilla essence or pod
Pour the quinoa into a saucepan with the 2 cups of water.
Cook quinoa under low-medium heat until it begins to look translucent and swells in size (should take about 15 minutes)
Allow the quinoa to cool down completely and set aside
Transfer the cooked quinoa into a blender with water, cinnamon, dates and vanilla.
Blend into a smooth consistency
Pour the liquid into a jug or desired container
- Make sure the quinoa is cooled down after cooking it or elsewhere you will end up with "hot milk".
- Keep the milk refrigerated in a jug at all times.
- If you are using a high speed blender i.e a vitamix, there shouldn't be a need to strain the milk.
- Use a cheesecloth, sieve or muslin cloth if needed for straining
- Any quinoa can be used to make this recipe - Red, black or white it makes no difference!
- Rinse off the quinoa thoroughly to rid any dairy prior to cooking.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 1g | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg