Dairy Free Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Learn how to make this simple mashed sweet potatoes recipe - NO milk, sugar or marshmallows are needed!
Servings 4 servings
- 2 lb sweet potatoes chopped and peeled, approx 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1-2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg depending on taste
- ½ teaspoon pink salt
- water for mashing the potatoes if needed
Place the sweet potato pieces in a medium sized saucepan with water and the pink salt and bring to a boil.
Reduce to medium heat then simmer until tender (can prick with a fork, this should take about 10 minutes)
Once cooked, drain off the water (leave the potatoes in the saucepan only if using a masher, if not transfer them to a medium sized bowl)
Use a masher or pulse with a electric whisk breakdown the potato into the desired consistency (add the water if required) then mix in the nutmeg or any additional ingredients.
- Chop the sweet potatoes prior to boiling them. This is by far the quickest method to cook your potatoes through and takes no more than 10 minutes for them to soften.
- Steam them if you want to retain the nutrients. Use a steam basket over hot water and steam the potatoes until they are done (this should take about 15 minutes).
- Making the mash. Use a heavy duty device like a masher, hand held mixer or even a food processor to do this.
- Feel free to add some of suggested "add ins" to your mash
- You may not need any additional water when making the mash. If you do, add the water in increments if necessary
Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 54mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 13832IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg