Homemade Browning Sauce Recipe
Homemade browning sauce for all your culinary needs - Gluten free, vegan
Servings 1 jar
- 2 cups of coconut palm sugar raw organic cane sugar works too
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 tsp of himalayan pink salt
Add the sugar to a saucepan and turn on medium heat.
Use a wooden spoon or spatula and begin to slowly stir. The sugar will start to dissolve and turn into a syrup consistency while darkening.
If the sugar begins to smoke too quickly then reduce the flame or switch off the stove and continue to stir while charring the sugar.
Once the sugar darkens to a dark brown almost black in colour remove from the stove and carefully add the hot water. The saucepan will yield plenty of steam and splutter which is normal but please be very careful when following this step and add the water slowly - keep on stirring the pan.
Once the sauce is formed, allow to cool before adding the pink salt and pour into a sauce bottle.
- Use hot water to dissolve the sugar NEVER cold or the sugar will become hard and not dissolve.
- Be very careful when adding the hot water as the sugar may splutter and raise up.
- Use a non stick saucepan or an old saucepan. DON'T use one of your fancy or brand new saucepans.
- When adding the hot water you may want to do this in the kitchen sink to reduce accidents.
- Store in the refrigerator for several months to over a year once chilled.
- Keep the fan extractor on/leave a window open to reduce a build up of smoke.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Sugar: 20g