Jamaican Yam Mash
Tired of boring mashed potatoes? Well try this mash made from boiled yam not to be mistaken for the North American Yams. A irresistible smooth mash into a creamy consistency with roast garlic and peppers.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb of yam chopped and peeled
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter
- 3-6 large garlic cloves depending on how potent you want your mash
- 1 cup of bell peppers red and green chopped
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ¼ tsp of himalayan pink salt
- black pepper and garlic granules to taste optional
Preheat the oven to 356F/180C/Gas mark 4
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the garlic cloves and chopped bell peppers, drizzle with olive oil then place in the oven to roast for roughly 15 minutes or until slightly golden, then remove and set aside.
While the garlic and peppers are roasting, place the chunks of yam in a large saucepan and boiled until tender, this should take 10-15 minutes.
Drain the excess water from the yam and use a potato masher to mash until smooth. As you begin to breakdown the yam use the coconut milk to aid this process.
Mix in the vegan butter and pink salt
Squeeze the garlic pulp from out of the partially charred skin and mash into the creamed yam with some black pepper to taste (¼ tsp is suffice).
Add the roasted pepper to the yam and garnish with the remainder.
- You can purchase yam from African/Caribbean market. You will most likely need to ask the vendor to cut a pound of yam for you.
- There are two variations of yam (white and yellow) the yellow is sweeter, both work for this recipe.
- Latin Americans refer to yam as Name (Pronounced NYAH-MAY)
- The peel/bark of a yam can be tough so the best way to peel is to do so vertically. Stand it up right and slice off the peel in a downwards motion.
- If you can't get hold of yam, use dasheen, or cassava instead.
- If you want a more potent taste in garlic add more cloves
Calories: 301kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 1137mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1590IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 3mg