Green Banana Porridge (Vegan style)
Kick start your morning with a giant bowl of Jamaican Banana Porridge completely veganized
Servings 4 servings
- 3 Green bananas
- 2 ½ cups of water
- 2 cups of coconut milk full fat
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract or powder
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
- ⅛ tsp of himalayan pink salt
- ⅓ cup of condensed coconut milk or sweeten to taste(see post for the recipe link)
Wash the green bananas to remove any debris.
Cut the tips of each banana and make an incision length ways with a pairing knife. Follow the incision around the banana in a circle so that the peel is removed and discard.
Slice the banana into large discs and put in the blender with the water and puree.
Once pureed pour the liquidised formula into a large sauce and begin to boil then reduce heat while stirring.
Then stir in the coconut milk with the spices, pink salt and vanilla.
Finally pour the desired amount of condensed coconut milk and allow to boil reduce to a simmer and stir to avoid any lumps for a further 5 minutes.
- A green plantain or green bananas can be used to make this recipe.
- If using the blender version make sure to use a high powered blender to lessen the chances of any lumps.
- I do not recommend using freezing any leftover porridge.
- Ripe bananas CANNOT replicate this recipe at all.
- Green banana/plantain can be purchased with any Caribbean/Caribbean/latino market. If you don't live in a country/neighbour with this demographic then you probably won't be able to source any.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and consume within 2 days.
- Make sure the banana/plantain are a HIGH green hue, they should be very bright and off yellow.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 607mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 57IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 5mg