Vegan Caribbean Salad
Learn how to make this delicious, nutritional pigeon pea Caribbean salad
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup of cooked pigeon/gungo peas or 2 cans drained
- 1 large carrot grated
- 3 scallions sliced
- 1 cup of bell peppers sweet red peppers and yellow mixed, chopped
- 1 large avocado chopped.
- 2 tsp of ginger minced
- The juice of one lime
- ½ tsp of garlic granules or two small garlic cloves crushed
- ¼ tsp of sesame seed oil
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of coconut palm sugar
- ⅛ tsp of coconut aminos alternative to soy
- a dash of himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp of dried thyme to garnish
Arrange all of the veggies in your favourite bowl
Pour a generous amount of dressing over the entire salad and garnish with the dried thyme.
**double or triple the batch of dressing if required**
- Make sure the avocados that you are using are soft, not overly soft but just soft to the touch as they will be ready to use straight away
- The dressing is optional, if want to make this into a vinaigrette add balsamic vinegar like I did with this Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Dried beans are more cost effective but do require cooking, if you want to skip this step use 2 cans of peas instead. Just make sure the peas are in water only and not sodium.
- Prep ahead of time by chopping up the vegetables and grating the carrot but don't prep the avocado until you are ready to eat as oxidation darkens them.
- If you want to have this salad on the go simply prepare then add to a mason jar and make it portable.
Calories: 525kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 969mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 8309IU | Vitamin C: 139mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 3mg