Easy coconut rice recipe – a quick step by step guide in how to make the fluffiest coconut rice using healthy slow released brown rice.
I’m not sure if I have revealed this information about myself thus far BUT… I think you all should know that I am an avid lover of anything with coconut in it. It’s really quite bizarre, just the thought of coconut brings a smile to my face. I made some coconut rice a few days ago and was contemplating whether or not to submit the recipe. The reason behind my indecisiveness was simply because I prefer to eat quinoa if I’m completely honest nowadays. Although from my research coconut rice tends to be made with white jasmine rice, my recipe contrasts this idea, as I made mine with brown rice due to being a much healthier substitute.
In this easy coconut recipe I went overboard with the coconut to ensure the flavour permeated the rice grains. I used coconut oil, coconut cream – I’m referring to the block form and of course homemade coconut milk. This potent themed combination guaranteed a strong coconut taste. Although, my thoughts turned to adding some shredded coconut, but decided to opt for the creamy consistency of the coconut cream instead.
Rice has a tendency to habour debris and unwanted grit, so always make sure to wash the rice prior to commencing cooking. By the way, the picture before was taken just before I transferred the rice grains into a sieve.
Saucepan with coconut rice mixture
The secret to cooking rice without the aid of a rice cooker is finding the correct balance of liquid to 1 part of rice grains. As a general rule, rice shouldn’t be too moist and also shouldn’t be too drying either, you’re looking for a fine balance – somewhere in between (see picture).
Easy coconut rice recipe
gluten free, vegan
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 cup of organic brown rice (washed)
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- 1tsp of coriander (dried or fresh)
- 2 tbsp of creamed coconut
- *1/3 cup of water (only use in small dosages if water evaporates excessively)
- Wash and strain the rice to remove unwanted debris.
- With the saucepan on high heat, add the coconut milk, coconut oil, coriander, cream coconut and stir a few times to avoiding sticking.
- Once the pot begins to boil, reduce heat, cover and leave to simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- During the allocated cooking time, ensure to check rice periodically to avoid sticking and evaporation. if the liquid has absorbed and rice is still hard, gently fold in some more water and leave to simmer for longer. If rice is over saturated with water remove the lid and allow excess liquid to dissolve.
- Once rice is cooked it should be light and fluffy – test the grains with a fork