Hey steak lovers!! Learn how to make juicy, succulent steak that is generously seasoned to perfection and then cooked in an air fryer according to your preference.
It doesn't get any better then air fried steak - I'm talking extra juicy, lean, bad to the bone type of meat. Steak is probably one of my favourite types of red meat and I do enjoy eating it for dinner on the odd occasion.
If you are a steak fan like I am then you will truly enjoy this recipe post.
I have to be grateful to a very good friend of mine who was boasting about how great air fryer steak is. To think it was me who recruited her to the air fryer wagon. In turn she convinced me to try cooking my steak using my Power Air Fryer XL .
Admittedly, at first I was skeptical, I didn't expect the results to be exceedingly good. I know my trusted air fryer was a great kitchen appliance but wasn't convinced it could cook steak to my liking. When I finally got around to cooking my sirloin steak, man was it good - juicy, succulent and sooooo tasty too!!
Cooking steak to YOUR preference
I just had to share how amazing this steak recipe truly is, of course the duration of time for cooking steak varies. I realise some people like there steak rare, other medium-rare, then you have the medium and well done crew. This post isn't about recruiting others to adapt to their preference, you like what you like and I like what I like..end of story!!
As you can see by my picture I'm down with the "well done" crew, I'm used to people mocking me and making jokes but that's the way I like my steak and I won't impose my cooking preference onto others which is why I will specify different cooking times to suit YOUR preference.
It doesn't matter whether you are team rare or team well done, this post caters to all parties.
How to tenderise a steak
Let's get down to the steak basic, should we tenderise the meat? If so, how do we do this?
Tenderising meat is a matter of preference in a sense. As general rule of thumb, the cheaper cuts of meat i.e the round, chuck, brisket and belly are more flavourless and tough. These tend to works best for slow cooking so the muscle fibres can breakdown.
The aforementioned definitely needs tenderising, however in my experience I had brought more premium cuts of meat like sirloin which has proven to be tough too so I usually tenderising all cuts of meat just to be on the safe side.
Keep in mind to tenderise steak is an optional step, but one I recommend, so you can choose whether or not you wish to include tenderising the meat.
You can tenderising meat using the following ways.......
- Course salt i.e sea salt, himalayan pink salt. Lay the steak on a plate and cover each side with the salt, massage into the steak, cover and rest for a hour (if pressed for time) or 24 hours for extra tenderness. Then rinse off the salt and cook accordingly....
- Use a meat pallet to pound the meat, this will instantly breakdown the muscle and flatten out the meat.
- Marinate the meat in citrus/fruit juice i.e papaya/pineapple. The enzymes in juice is said to help breakdown the connective tissue. Simply pour juice over the steak, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, rinse off and use.
How to cook steak in the air fryer
Air fryer brand - First and foremost before I get into the logistics of making steak, let's talk product brand. The air fryer that I am currently using the Power Air Fryer XL. I've used this one for all my recipes!!
Preparing the steak - Aside from tenderising my steak (optional step). I brushed each side of the steak with coconut amino (soy free alternative) and melt some coconut oil and coated it in that too.
Beef seasoning - I have this homemade beef seasoning which I use for most of my red meat recipes. It's my go to and works so well with this steak. I generously rub the steak (both sides with the seasoning) the amount used is up to you before putting it in the air fryer.
Cooking time - Now this is where things becoming more personal. I will state the cooking time for each stage of the meat below. Whatever you do make sure to turn the steak over half way through, whatever the cooking time maybe. I use cooked my steak using the pre set steak option and set the temperature to 190c
Cooking preference/done-ness of the steak
Air fryer steak rare -4-5 minutes
Air fryer steak medium - -7-8 minutes
Air fryer steak well done - 10-12 minutes
Tenderise the meat if required
Then coat the meat with coconut oil and coconut aminos (soy free alternative)
Place the steak in the air fryer basket, select the steak icon then cook to your preference
Side serving suggestions
More air fryer recipes you may like
**Don't forget to comment below and star rate if you have tried my recipes. Let's be friends and engage on Facebook and Instagram I also like to pin on Pinterest, where you can find more amazing recipes.**
Air Fryer Steak
- 2 fillets of steak rump, sirloin etc..
- Beef seasoning see recipe post
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp of coconut aminos soy free alternative
- If tenderising the steak, follow the instructions in the recipe post.
- Once the steak is rinsed off allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Brush the coconut aminos on both sides of the steak then follow up with brushing with coconut oil.
- Use your hands to rub the seasoning into the steak, use as little or as much as you would like.
- Place the steak in the air fryer basket, switch on and select the steak icon then reduce the temperature to 190c
- Cook for 10-12 minutes (well done) or to your preference, turning half way through.