Vegan banana ice cream – banana ice cream that’s no churn, using just one ingredient so quick and easy to make in less than 5 minutes.
I’ve been saving this vegan banana ice cream recipe until the weather improved or at least until the sunshine decided to exudes its rays. I first made this frozen treat I knew I was onto something big. This ice cream is probably one of the most simplest you’ll ever make and yet the taste and texture is completely foolproof – velvety smooth ice cream that nourishes the body.
Let’s discuss what you’re here for the ice-cream, a true favourite dessert of mine and probably yours too. Being dairy free isn’t easy when it comes to things like milkshakes, chocolate and ice-cream, believe me it can present as a challenge.
Who doesn’t love ice cream
I’m so glad I took the initiative to conduct my own research into alternative ways to make some dairy free ice cream because as dramatic as it may sound, life just wouldn’t the same without enjoying some of this frozen goodness.
I mean c’mon now who would have thought banana ice cream vegan would ever be said in the same sentence. This just shows how creative and diverse the culinary world has become with some DIY frozen fruit ice cream and I’m here for it!!
How to freeze bananas
- Grab a bunch of bananas, preferably overripe with the dark spots on the skin.
- Peel the bananas and slice them into even chunks – this makes them a lot easier to use for ice cream and smoothies.
- Place them on a baking tray with parchment paper and spread them out so each chunk has some space
- Part freeze for 20-40 minutes, this is to prevent them from sticking together.
- Remove the tray from the freezer then transfer the banana chunks according to the amount you need per zip lock bag.
- Make sure the air is squeezed out of the bag prior to freezing.
How to make vegan banana ice cream
Use plenty of bananas – In order to replicate the results in my pictures you’ll need about 4-6 large bananas. You can use as little or as many as you like, but do try to procure some dark bananas as they are the sweetest.
Frozen bananas – the bananas MUST be frozen in order for this recipe to work. NOT soft, semi, but solid frozen bananas. Make sure to follow the guidelines above to always have frozen bananas for smoothies and/or ice cream to hand
Food processor is needed – You’ll need a good sturdy food processor to create the banana whip which converts to ice cream.
Add the banana pieces slowly – A little at a time, whipping in segments until the amount of frozen bananas chunks you desire are added. Becareful not to over process the bananas, you want the texture to look like ice cream not overly whipped until it quickly liquidizes.
Chocolate banana ice cream
Add 1-2 tablespoons of raw cacao while the bananas are processing if you wish to make chocolate ice cream
Here are some combination ice cream flavors you should try
- Pumpkin pie
Toppings to add to your frozen banana ice cream
- Nuts and seeds
- Syrup i.e nectar, maple syrup
- Extra loose fruit .i.e cherries, bluebberies
- Shredded coconut
More healthy dessert ideas
Mango chia seed puddingPrint
Vegan banana ice cream
Learn how to make this healthy veganised one ingredient ice cream – Paleo, keto, gluten free, vegan, dairy free
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Cuisine: Dessert
- A batch of frozen bananas (roughly 4-6)
- pieces of nuts, seeds, syrup (topping)
- Fit your food processor with an S blade and begin to add a few pieces of banana at a time.
- The bananas will begin to cream and breakdown in sections, so keep adding a small amount at a time until the entire batch has gone.
- Whip the bananas until they are of ice cream texture, ensure not to over process them as your ice cream will become too soft, you just want the pieces to break down.
- Once whipped use an ice cream scoop to form some balls and serve in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some nuts, seeds whatever you want and drizzle some syrup on top.