Last Updated on
No bake chocolate cheesecake recipe – this raw version of chocolate cheesecake is made from cacao with a walnut biscuit base, totally foolproof dessert.
I first discovered this no bake low carb cheesecake on Megan’s (Detoxinista) website. I followed her no bake chocolate cheesecake recipe from scratch and what I loved about her version was the fact that she incorporated a zucchini (courgette) as part of the filling. This is a great way of including some healthy vegetables into your diet.
This was an unique approach to raw cheesecakes, maybe she wasn’t the pioneer of such ingenuity, but regardless of whomever thought of this concept – I would like to thank you as the results were divine.
As previously mentioned, my no bake vegan chocolate cheesecake recipe is inspired by Megan’s recipe I couldn’t resist revisiting this cheesecake because I’m such a huge fan of no bake chocolate desserts. Therefore I wouldn’t miss the opportunity to chime in with my own version.
Co-workers reaction to my no bake chocolate cheesecake recipe
I told my co-worker about my cheesecake as she is trying to lead a more healthier lifestyle.
I certainly don’t impose my beliefs onto others and leave people to make their own autonomous decision about what they choose to eat.
Anyway, she quickly became intrigued and asked me to bring a sample into work the next day. The next day I brought a small helping for her to try and I kid you not she loved it to the extent to where, she had asked me nicely to make a large one for herself and family.
How to make a chocolate cheesecake
Baking tin – For this recipe I used a 9″inch springform pan. This achieves a tart style cheesecake. If you want a deeper filling then use a smaller i.e 6” pan instead
The base – is made from walnuts, shredded coconut, coconut nectar, pink salt and coconut oil. The nuts are ground using a food processor with the help of the wet ingredients (nectar and coconut oil) to aid the breaking down process. There is no need to pre-soak the walnuts and almonds can be used in place of walnuts.
You want the ingredients to turn into a crumb mixture so it looks like what would be a typical conventional cheesecake base.
If you want to make a chocolate base cheesecake to turn this into a no bake double chocolate cheesecake recipe. Then simply add 2tbsp of cacao along with your base ingredients.
The filling – the filling is made from several ingredients including cashews, cacao, coconut nectar, coconut oil, nutmeg, vanilla, pink salt and zucchini.
All of these aforementioned ingredients need to be whipped up in a high speed blender into a smooth consistency. For best results, do make sure to soak the cashew nuts before hand so they blend with ease.
I find that the creaminess of the cashews and softness from the zucchini creates a velvet smooth texture. The addition of a vegetable is a brilliant way to get non-vegetable lovers to eat their veggies plus it optimises healthy properties.
How to store your no bake chocolate cheesecake
Another thing I should mention, which is very important, is storage. The coconut oil in the filling is a semi solid oil which acts as a stabiliser, at room temperature it begins to liquefy. As a consequence of this I would suggest keeping the cheesecake in the freezer or some where cool like the refrigerator.
The cheesecake filling won’t completely freeze through, it will just become more firm which is normal.
Notes and tips for making the best chocolate cheesecake
- This recipe is vegan friendly, keto approved and paleo, raw with no gluten
- For best results store in the freezer
- The cheesecake filling will be semi-solid and thaw out quite quickly so serve immediately
- Use a 6” springform pan for a deeper filling or 9” pan for a thin tart cheesecake (as shown)
- Zucchini is also known as a courgette in the UK
More healthy delicious desserts to try
Gluten free blueberry crisp
Steps for making no bake chocolate cheesecake (with pictures)
Pulse the base ingredients into a crumb then pat it down evenly with the back of a spoon into the base of a spring form pan
Prepare the filling in a blender, blend until smooth then pour onto the base prior to freezing.Print
No bake chocolate cheesecake
Learn to make the best no bake chocolate cheesecake ever – Paleo, keto, vegan and gluten free
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- For the crust:
- 2 cups of walnuts (or almonds will do)
- 2tbsp of coconut oil
- 3tbsp of shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of coconut nectar (or agave, maple or stevia, erythritol for a keto option)
- 1/8 tsp of Himalayan pink salt
- For the filling:
- 2 cups of raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup of coconut nectar (stevia or erythritol for a keto option)
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract (or powder)
- 1/8 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- Remove the base of the springform pan and use a pen/pencil to draw around the circumference. Cut out the circle you have drawn and use grease or spray to firmly adhere it to the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Using a food processor with an S blade, grind the walnuts into a fine meal.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the walnut crumb and pulse, you should be left with a slightly moist pliable dough. This will serve as the base of your cheesecake.
- Press the crust ingredients down firmly to the bottom of the pan and spread evenly using the back of a spoon then set aside
- Pulse the cashew nuts into a fine meal on high speed.
- Slowly add the zucchini, nutmeg, coconut nectar, cacao powder and pink salt to the food processor. Process until a creamy consistency is formed.
- Lastly, add the coconut oil and blend until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Pour and evenly spread the filling onto the cheesecake base
- Leave to freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight until firm.
- Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes prior to serving, run a knife around the perimeter of the cheesecake to ease removal.
High speed food processor is recommended to completely grind all ingredients
Store in freezer (as suggested)
Cheesecake will soften at room temperature
Makes 6-8 portions