Avocado chocolate mousse recipe – the silkiest vegan chocolate mousse made with cacao powder, date paste, coconut milk and ripe avocados.
Another avocado chocolate mousse recipe for all of the chocolate mousse fans out there. I adore eating some mousse but since going dairy free I haven’t quite discovered a tasty substitute. I don’t eat anything with soy(a) in and I loathe the additives that are ladened in the store brought dessert.
This recipe is simple, containing only 4 ingredients, yes that’s right a whooping FOUR that’s all you’ll need to achieve this wonderful result.
My grandmother is in love with the mousse, to the point where she even asked for seconds and of course I had to deliver.
The benefits of using avocado
The avocado acts as an emulsifier, holding the entire structure together. Another good thing about avocado is the healthy saturated fats which play a vital role in boosting the good cholesterol, (high density lipoprotein) whilst lowering our bad fats.
Contrary to popular belief not all fats are bad for us, granted some fats are unhealthy, these are the transfats, margarine and hydrogenated oil – all of these fats contribute towards damaging our cardiovascular system, fatty liver and unwanted weight gain.
Immersion blender to make the avocado chocolate mousse
For this recipe I used my immersion blender (stick blender) to manually manipulate the desired texture. Feel free to opt for a food processor if you don’t have an immersion blender.
I found high speed blenders a bit of a challenge to create a thick mousse without compromising the texture but that’s just me.
I also used my homemade date paste and and coconut milk (see below for the recipe). Another favourite mousse of mine is the delicious key lime pudding .
Steps for making avocado chocolate mousse (with pictures)
Scoop out the avocado and place in a medium sized bowl with the cacao
Use an immersion stick to puree the avocado and add the coconut milk (as required)
To make this Avocado chocolate mousse recipe you will need;
3 tbsp of Raw cacao powder
1/2 cup of Homemade coconut milk (see here for recipe)
1/2 cup of Date paste (click here for recipe)
1. Cut the avocados in half, make sure to cut around the big stone inside and scoop out the pulp.
2. Place the pulp in a large bowl with the cacao powder and date paste.
3. Using the immersion stick, start to blend all of the ingredients, once the 3 ingredients congeal, gradually add the coconut milk, slowly until a fluffy texture is formed, remember you don’t want the mixture to be liquidised.
Once desired results are met, serve.
Avocado chocolate mousse recipe
- 2 Avocados
- 3 tbsp of Raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup of Homemade coconut milk see recipe above
- 1/2 cup of Homemade date paste see recipe above
- Cut the avocados in half, make sure to cut around the big stone inside and scoop out the pulp.
- Place the pulp in a large bowl with the cacao powder and date paste.
- Using the immersion stick, start to blend all of the ingredients, once the 3 ingredients congeal, gradually add the coconut milk, slowly until a fluffy texture is formed, remember you don't want the mixture to be liquidised.
- Once desired results are met, serve.