Prawn and mango salad recipe – prawns with sweet mango pieces on a bed of romaine lettuce, garnished with red onions and drizzled with a herbaceous dressing
This prawn and mango salad is one of my favourite salads to eat, it’s quick, light and filling low carb and high protein. Perfect to pack and bring with you to work or why not eat it on a sunny day in the park? You will get all the sweetness that you need from the mango and sweet romaine lettuce.
Prawn and mango salad dressing
When it comes to salad dressing I’m abit of a diva. There are so many ingredients that I do and don’t like, to the point where I’ve resorted to making my own dressings to fit my taste buds.
I’m on the fence with vinegar, sometimes I’m okay with a moderate amount while other times I’m like “meh, I’ll skip it”. This chilli lime dressing has a great amount of heat to it (not fiery or overbearing with a zesty taste).
Prawn and mango salad with chilli lime dressing – The ingredients list
In order to make the dressing you will need the following
- The juice of a lime – use a juice extractor or juicer to yield the juice from the fruit
- Extra virgin olive oil – normally olive oil will do
- Garlic granules or powder works too
- Parsley – chopped or dried
- Black pepper
- Himalayan pink salt
- Chilli – flakes or ground
How to prepare mango prawn salad in a matter of minutes
Use precooked prawns – the used for this recipe are cooked already. I do recommend cutting down on time and for overall convenience to purchase them pink which signify being ready to eat.
Use frozen mango – Of course fresh mango is the best but mango is not always easy to source depending on where you live and the time of year. Frozen mango is so much more cheaper, accessible. Of course they need to be defrosted prior to consuming. They don’t have very long to thaw out.
Can I prepare this salad bowl ahead of time
Yes, if you are pressed for time, I would definitely recommend preparing all of the listed ingredients a head of time. First of all, you have the liberty to mix all of the dressing ingredients together and storing in a glass jar and refrigerating, ready to you!!
Also, chop the red onions and lettuce up too. You can arrange them on plate or in a bowl so it’s ready to eat when needed. It’s safe to do this the night before but I wouldn’t advise doing this several days head of time.
5 Reasons why you should make this healthy prawn salad
- Prawns are packed with protein – essential for building and repairing muscles
- Contains a low fat and low carb content making it suitable for weight loss
- This salad is perfect for people who are looking for something that tantalises their sweet taste buds with a complementary serving of seafood.
- Will stave away hunger – keeping you fuller for longer
- Salads are so quick and easy to prepare – perfect for on the go!
Other prawn salad variations
Prawn and mango noodle salad – You can increase your carb intake depending on your lifestyle by adding some GF noodles to the mix. You could add some rice noodles, zucchini (courgetti) noodles for a low fat, low carb option.
Prawn and green mango salad – green mangoes are basically unriped mangoes, they are more tangy, and sour with sometimes are hint of sweetness. If you are partial to savoury dishes then trade your ripened sweet mango for some chunks of green mango instead.
Prawn and avocado salad – Increase your healthy, omega fat intake by adding 1 whole avocado (chopped of course). A great idea if you are leading a low carb and high fat lifestyle.
More salad recipesPrint
Prawn and mango salad
Kick start the summer season with this prawn and mango salad – Low fat, gluten free, paleo,
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 1-2
- Category: Lunch
- 2 cups of sweet romaine lettuce, chopped and tightly packed
- 1 cup of mango, diced
- 150g of prawns (roughly 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup of red onions, sliced
- For the dressing
- The juice of a lime
- 1/4 cup of of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- 1tsp of parsley
- 1tsp of black pepper
- 1/8 himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp of chilli
- Arrange the pre chopped ingredients so that they sit on a bed of sweet romaine lettuce (excluding the prawns).
- Add all of the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Toss the prawns into the liquid, ensuring that all the prawns are completely saturated and leave to sit for 2 minutes.
- Remove the prawns from the mixture and place onto the lettuce bed
- , Pour the remaining dressing all over the salad
- Calories: 210
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 2g