Black bean and corn salad – A tasty vegetable legume combination salad that takes less than 15 minutes to prepare that’s packed with flavour and sweetness.
If you’re fan of salad or even just looking to hop right on the wagon, then you are in the right place. I hope that this nutritional black bean and corn salad wins you over. It’s made from scratch, using ingredients that are easy to obtain from your local supermarket and doesn’t take long to prepare (bonus).
How to make black bean and corn salad
The foundation to making this salad is very, very simple. If you’re a health enthusiast then lucky for you that you’ll probably have some of the listed ingredients to hand. If not, no worries I guide a long this culinary journey.
The main ingredients – corn, black beans, quinoa, mango, red onion, scallion, avocado and red bell pepper. The salad is drizzled in a sweet lime dressing too but I will listed the secondary ingredients further down.
Chop your veggies a head of time – a lot of what I have listed may seem like a laundry list of veggies.
However, this won’t have any bearing on how long it takes to prep them. If you’re really pushed for time or simply want to be a head of yourself then I would suggest chopping up your veggies and storing them in a zip lock bag ready to use.
Use cooked quinoa – Unlike it’s grainy counterpart quinoa cooks in a matter of minutes. For this recipe I used cooked quinoa (red and white) that I had to hand. I do advise doing the same so it’s cold and ready to toss into your salad.
Adding the avocado to the black bean and corn salad
Just like apples, avocado have a tendency to slightly darken in colour. This occurs when the flesh is exposed to the air.
Granted it doesn’t look very appetising though it’s still perfectly safe to eat. You can omit this from happening (to a degree) by cutting your avocado and leaving it to soak in some salt water.
I would advise cutting, soak and rinsing your avocado as soon as you’re ready to eat the salad. Don’t leave it soak overnight or for a length of time. In other words, let it be one of the last things to add to your salad bowl.
Why you should make this salad
- Salad are a creative way of incorporating your 5 a day fruit and veggies.
- It’s really simple to make and beginner friendly
- It’s low in fat (omega fats from avocado are good fats) and high in protein
- Both quinoa and black beans contain protein
- It’s a salad that contains no leafy greens (if you don’t like them)
- The salad has flavour – no boring, bland rabbit food around here!!
- It’s healthy with nutritional value
- It’s suitable for vegans and contains NO gluten.
You can also switch things up a little and add some meat if you’re not a vegan for an extra serving of protein. Alternatively, you can add more fruit and not just go with the mango or even include more veggies. It’s such a diverse salad but really all you need is right in my recipe.
See more black bean recipes
Black bean and corn salad
- 1 cup of black beans drained
- 1 cup of Corn
- 1/2 cup of Cooked quinoa
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 red rell pepper chopped
- 1 cup of fresh mango chopped
- 1 whole avocado stone removed, peeled and chopped
For the sweet lime dressing
- 1/4 cup of Olive oil
- The juice of one lime squeezed
- 1 tsp of Oregano
- 1 tbsp of Coconut nectar
- 1 tsp of Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- Mix together the ingredients for the dressing and place in a jar with a lid and set aside.
- Combine all of the fruit and vegetables for the salad in a bowl.
- Add the chopped avocado only if you plan on eating straight away.
- Shake before drizzling the salad with the sweet lime dressing
- Serve accordingly