Persimmon smoothie recipe – this delicious Asian fruit makes the most perfect autumnal smoothie with coconut milk and frozen bananas.
While I do not like the cold weather I do like the whole range of fruit and veggies that the supermarkets like to stock. One of my favourite Autumnal fruits is persimmons, a percy what? I repeat PERSIMMON and even more as a persimmon smoothie recipe. I had that what-the-heck-is-this-fruit expression on my face too a few years ago.
I’m so glad that I gave this little bad boy a chance to redeem himself because I take great pleasure in eating him every chance I get. On second thoughts, I better stop referring to the persimmon as a male because you guys will render me insane and run for the hills.
What is a persimmon?
On a serious note, the persimmon fruit is bright yellow/orange in colour, oval shaped, smooth and very juicy when ripe.
The fruit derives from East Asia and is popular amongst the western hemisphere doing the cooler months.
The health of drinking a persimmon smoothie
Just like many other fruit, there are many health benefits with persimmons. Therefore, you can reap the benefits in a smoothie including;
- high in fibre – 100g of fruit will give you 3.5g of fibre which constitutes your recommended daily intake
- In terms of vitamins they are high in vitamin A, C and B complex.
- Persimmons are loaded with antioxidants which ward off free radicals – the molecules responsible for tissue damage.
- Helps to boost the immune system
- Good for hair, skin and nails
Another health related benefit……..
- An antioxidant compound called Catechins are believed to be anti-inflammatory, anti-infective and stops excessive bleeding in small blood vessels.
- Along with the vitamins, you’ll find a healthy range of minerals, namely copper, potassium, zinc and manganese – all of which support enzymes and facilitate the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
More smoothie recipes
Persimmon pineapple orange smoothie
- 2 persimmons
- 1 cup of almond milk or another plant based milk
- 1/2 of a frozen banana
- 4 medjool dates optional
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- All of the ingredients to a blender and blitz until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Use any species of persimmon to make this recipe, it will work regardless of which one you use.
- For super sweet results, allow the persimmon to ripen until it's soft and almost at the point of bursting.
- Persimmon when firm aren't that sweet so keep that in mind
- Feel free to add additional nuts/grains to your smoothie or even turn the recipe into a thick smoothie bowl
- Use another plant based milk such as coconut milk or cashew if you want to.