Blueberry banana smoothie recipe – If you love blueberries, then you will love this delicous smoothie bowl packed with fruit, nuts and energising seeds.
Stuck with ideas for breakfast? Why not try this blueberry banana smoothie bowl. The great thing about smoothies is how quick and convenient they are to make.
I’m talking about whipping up a tasty delight in a matter of seconds. Living in the western hemisphere means life in the fast lane; go to school, college or doing that 9-5. Our lives are busy and bustling to say the least.
The importance of consuming breakfast
I often speak to people from different walks of life who tell me that they “didn’t eat breakfast this morning” or “simply didn’t have the time to eat”. These statements bother me because our bodies need a jolt of energy throughout the day especially in the morning.
The word breakfast is an adjective that means “breaking the fast” that fast relates to the length of sleeping time up until when we rise in the morning. Sleeping is essentially the time when the body takes a lengthy period to replenish and repair itself. As a matter of fact human beings can’t function without adequate rest, it’s a biological need.
It’s so important for us to “break our fast” in the mornings with something, ideally healthy and nutritious. I like to start my day with a nutritionally dense smoothie.
Ingredients for blueberry banana smoothie
- Frozen banana – they create the thickest smoothies on the planet!! try it!!
- Medjool dates – The chunky dates yield natural sweetness but other dates work fine too
- Almond milk – It’s dairy free/vegan so contains no lactose and also one of the cheaper plant based options (or just choose another plant based milk)
- Chia seeds – this gelatinious ball expands when they swell, great for thickness and a good source of omega fats
- Hemp hearts (optional)
- Flax seeds in smoothies are another omega rich powerhouse that add a nutty taste and thickness.
- Gluten free oats – Helps to optimise your fibre intake and ease digestion
- Peanut butter – Two words……. protein power!! turns this into the perfect post workout smoothie
How to make a blueberry banana smoothie with almond milk
Grab all of the listed ingredients and place them in a blender. As I always, I do recommend using a high speed blender i.e Vitamix or Blendtech especially when pulverising such an extensive amount of ingredients .
I like to add chunky fruit and nuts such as dates and/or walnuts to my smoothies which need that extra high speed to break them down smoothly.
Health benefits of blueberry banana breakfast smoothie
- Antioxidant powerhouse, blueberries have some of the highest amounts of antioxidants – great for warding off free radicals which can damage our cells and lead to health adversaries.
- Contains high levels of protein thanks to the oats, flaxseed and the chia seeds (again another superfood) and peanut butter
- Yield an adequate serving of healthy omega fats.
Notes for blueberry banana breakfast smoothie
- You can make this recipe with homemade Coconut milk
- Serve your breakfast smoothie in either a bowl or glass
- Gluten free and vegan rec
- Leave out the oats and use almond butter to make the smoothie paleo friendly
- Feel free to add additional fruit – .ie cherries, blackberries, raspberries etc…
Other recipes you may likePrint
Blueberry banana smoothie
Try this delicious blueberry banana smoothie in a bowl to start your day
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- Yield: 1-2
- Category: Drinks
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 3 pitted medjool dates (other dates work fine too)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or another plant based milk)
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 tbsp of hemp hearts (optional)
- 1tsp of flaxseed
- 1 tbsp of gluten free oats
- 1tbsp of peanut butter (of any nut butter of your choice)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and whiz into a velvet smooth consistency