Chocolate chia pudding recipe – a delectable chia seed pudding made from cacao powder, chia seeds and coconut milk with a vegan coconut cream topping.
Wow, can you believe that we are over a quarter of our way through the entire calendar year. I don’t know about you but my favourite time of year is the summer time with spring coming in at second place. It’s even more nice when you can enjoy this chocolate chia pudding recipe – decadent, soft, creamy and tasty and in one serving!
Chia seeds make great summer/spring time recipes – they are light in texture, quite gelatinous and packed with fiber. It’s not the first time I’ve made a chia seed pudding either. This mango chia seed pudding was a hit with my followers and various social media sites.
What are chia seeds and how to use them
Chia seeds are like the jelly (or jello as American call it) or the health enthusiastic world. A revolution has unfolded where this like Peruvian protein enriched seeds are causing a frenzy.
You can add them to your smoothie, make egg replacement, drinks or even make this chocolate chia pudding recipe.
How to make chocolate chia pudding recipe from scratch
This vegan pudding recipe is very very simple to make, using only a small number of ingredients and incredibly tasty.
What I do make the chia seeds expand quite quickly is to briskly whisk the chia seeds with the cacao and nut milk.
This reduces the expansion time by miles, it takes no more than 30 minutes for the chia to double in size/volume.
You allow them to rest and expand for a total on a hour, but I really don’t believe you need to do so, not unless you want to.
How to prepare the topping for the pudding
Now onto the fun part…….drum roll…….the TOPPING. I nailed it, I really did. The topping is quite interesting, here we have so whipped coconut milk. YES!!
A can of full fat coconut milk, chilled (or partially frozen). What you are required to do is to scoop out the coconut soilds from the top half of the can and whip them with an electric whisk.
When scooping out the solids, you will notice some liquid towards the bottom of the can, you won’t need that so discard it.
Speaking of which a word of warning, when scooping of the milk solids, only dip the spoon in the can by 1/3 because the liquid will soften the solids, so scoop with due care.
Other dessert recipesPrint
Chocolate chia seed pudding recipe
Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, vegan
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1/3 cup of chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of coconut nectar (or other GI sweetener, maple syrup,
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract or powder
- For the topping
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (chilled or partially frozen)
- 1–2 tbsp of coconut sugar
- In a small bowl pour in the vanilla, chia seeds and coconut milk.
- Briskly whisk the mixture in the bowl, after a few minutes you will notice the chia seeds begin to swell in size/volume. Continue to whisk for a total of 5 minutes before leaving to rest and expand to its full capacity over a course of 30 minutes.
- After the given time transfer the pudding into wine glasses, ready for the topping.
- To make the topping open a can of coconut milk and proceed to insert a spoon by 1/3 of the can. Carefully scoop of the coconut solids into a bowl, being careful not to lower the spoon into the liquid underneath.
- Discard or save the liquid to add to a smoothie.
- Add the coconut sugar to the solids and whisk until smooth and fluffy with an electric whisk.
- Scoop the whipped cream onto the chocolate chia seed pudding, ready to serve