Last Updated on
Paleo chicken nuggets – succulent pieces of chicken breasts, dredged and rolling a seasoned shredded coconut batter with a mango pineapple dip.
I don’t know about you guys but I’m a huge fan of paleo chicken nuggets. They sort of remind me of McDonald’s, it’s really quite bizarre, but I do have a love for them. I recall in my youth, nibbling on these bitesize treats after choir practice. Yes I was in the school choir (shock, horror), myself and a school friend would practically rush to McDonald’s after singing our little hearts out.
Growing up my family didn’t embrace junk food but like most teenagers, I used my youth as an opportunity to explore fast food. Needless to say when I consumed fast food on a regular basis, it was more or less eaten once class was over.
Generally, teenagers don’t think about the ramifications of eating junk food. Moreover, teens are too busy enjoying life, almost invincible in a sense. They say health is wealth but this isn’t apparent to the average teen.
Fast forward to adulthood with a totally different perspective on life/health. I have some fond memories of chicken nuggets and being of Caribbean descent why not add an island spin to them.
This recipe is created from scratch not inspired by anything in particular aside from sourcing some paleo style chicken nuggets
Paleo chicken nuggets with coconut
I thought would it be nice to make some primal chicken nuggets with a grain/wheat free pseudo “breadcrumbs”. This is not your ordinary panko breadcrumbs at all. I combined some coconut and ground almonds together which resulted in a crispy exterior.
As this is more of a coconut themed recipe, I only added a small amount of ground almond to hold the coconut together. I also seasoned the meat along with the dusting (flour coating). This was to ensure that the flavour would penetrate deeply, in other words, no flavour is lost.
Dip and coat method – tip
Do follow the dip and coat method in the order as per the recipe instructions. This is very crucial, in order for the breadcrumbs to attach to the chicken.
Please do not rearrange the order, as this will affect your results.
I did a lovely mango pineapple sauce recipe which will compliment the crispy coconut chicken nuggets. It’s flavoursome and will guarantee to bring a taste of the Caribbean to your dinning table.
If you don’t want to use the mango dipping sauce you can try;
- BBQ sauce
- Honey mustard
- Tomato sauce
link to where you can purchase Mixed Herbs 250g
More paleo appetisers that you may like
- Brazilian cheese bread recipe
- Oven baked coconut shrimp
- Cajun sweet potato fries
- Charred asparagus with lemon
Paleo chicken nuggets
paleo, gluten free,
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dinner
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup of ground almonds
- 1 large free range egg
- For the chicken seasoning
- 200g of chicken breast (washed and cut into chunks)
- For the flour
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp of tapioca starch
- 1 tsp of mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of curry powder
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Line a tray with parchment paper and generously brush the paper with melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven at 200 Celsius
- Combine the coconut and ground almonds in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, crack the egg and put the tapioca starch with condiments in another bowl.
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl and proceed to season with the herb and spices.
- Dip the chicken into the tapioca starch, be sure to evenly coat each piece of chicken. Then dip into the egg before rolling in the coconut/almond “breadcrumbs”..
- Put each chicken nugget on the tray lined with parchment paper and the repeat steps 5,6 and 7 until all the nuggets are on the try.
- Bake in the oven until both sides are crispy, this should take 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on the nuggets so they don’t burn.
- When cooked, remove from oven and serve accordingly.