Kick start your day with this high protein, gluten free creamy Jamaican peanut porridge made with coconut milk for that vegan touch
I have another heart warming recipe for you guys to help you through these cold days. This Jamaican peanut porridge is the big sister to the peanut punch that I made several weeks ago.
I cannot empathise how ecstatic I am since discovering this ground breaking dairy free condensed milk. Condensed milk is one of, if not the key sweetener for many Caribbean dishes that call for condensed milk. Since condensed milk is traditionally made with cows milk that was off limits for me.
This super sweet liquid nectar supersedes the flavour of a low GI index sweetener like coconut palm sugar, believe me when I tell you how many times I’ve tried to tweak a Caribbean cuisine with palm sugar and winded up with an epic fail.
After many months of trial and error I’ve managed to make another foolproof Caribbean breakfast delight – vegan and gluten free.
Jamaicans love their porridge in the morning, it’s overloaded with protein and healthy heart fats. As protein tends to breakdown in the digestive system relatively slow, this creates a fuller feeling for much longer.
The protein and energy levels from the porridge are suitable for someone requiring a large quantity of protein at a given time or a muscle training.
This peanut porridge will melt your heart, literally it’s so flavourful thanks to the equal parts of nutmeg and cinnamon. I promise you won’t be disappointed, but you’ll have to try it to believe me.Print
Jamaican peanut porridge (Vegan)
Gluten free, vegan
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- 1 cup of blanched peanuts
- 1/3 cup of condensed coconut milk (See above post for recipe)
- 1tsp of vanilla extract or powder
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk (See above post for recipe)
- 1tsp of nutmeg
- 1tsp of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 2tbsp of ground gluten free oats or tapioca flour
- pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
- Blend the peanuts in water on high speed until completely ground.
- Pour the liquid into a saucepan and allow to boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring throughout to avoid sticking.
- Once the peanut mixture starts to thicken stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Continue to stir while finally adding the condensed coconut milk, oats/tapioca flour and the coconut milk.
- When everything has been incorporated, allow to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes. The porridge will thicken completely as it starts to cool down.
- Serve accordingly.
Can substitute tapioca flour instead of using ground gluten free oats for a grain free option.